Level Four - Wilderness Pursuit Tracking Dog
1. This Tracking Assessment will require a track-layer to single lay a continuous track and then hide or leave items of clothing to found by the tracking dog team.
2. The track-layer should indicate the start of their track with a pole. Another pole (or other type of marker) may be used to indicate the direction that the track-layer walked towards the start pole.
3. The track-layer then has 20 minutes to walk steadily across the terrain in any direction of their choosing. Two articles of clothing eg; glove, sock, key-ring, wallet, should be placed, at intervals, along this track.
4. After twenty minutes of steady walking, the track-layer should find a suitable place to hide and await location or hide items of clothing to be located by the tracking dog team.
5. Thirty minutes after the track-layer has set off from the pole, the handler will take their dog to the start pole. The tracking team will then follow the laid track until they locate the hidden track-layer/clothing.
6. The route can be discussed between the judge and the tracklayer prior to being walked. Successful location of the two articles left along the track will also act as evidence that the dog has followed the route taken by the track-layer. The dog must indicate the presence of the articles.
7. The track will be laid in a "Wilderness" type environment. This may include fields, paths, woodland, small streams etc. This land may well have been used by other people for recreational purposes and so it will require the dog to pick out the track-layers track from tracks left by other people.
8. To ensure the safety of the track-layer, a time-limit of 45minutes (from the tracking dog team leaving the start pole) will be set for the tracking dog team to locate a hidden track-layer.
9. To qualify, one of the two articles left on the track and the hidden track-layer/clothing must be located within the given time (45 minutes) without undue interference / guidance by the handler.
There is no requirement for the dog to adopt any particular tracking style.